Calendar for November 2020
Phase of the Moon:
|November 8||November 15||November 21||November 30|
|3rd Quarter||New Moon||1st Quarter||Full Moon|
Holidays and Observances in U.S.:
- 3: Election Day
- 11: Veterans Day
- 26: Thanksgiving Day
- 27: Black Friday
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- World Diabetes Day
- American Indian Heritage Month
- Good Nutrition Month
- Aviation Month
- American Diabetes Awareness Month
- National Stamp Collecting Month
- National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month
Fun Facts about November:
- It is the last month of the Fall season.
- November in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to May in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Elections are held in the United States on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
- The third Thursday of November is the Great American Smokeout. Smokers are encouraged by the American Cancer Society to stop smoking on this day.
- Some Christian churches celebrate All Saint’s Day on the first day of November and All Souls Day on the 2nd.
- American football is the main sport watched in the United States during this month.
- Most, if not all, of the leaves have fallen off the trees by the end of November.
History of November:
In the original Roman calendar, November was the ninth month of the year. It got its name from the Latin word “novem” which means nine. However, it became the eleventh month when the Romans added in January and February to the start of the year.
Throughout much of history, November has often been thought of as a somber month because it signaled the start of winter. People would spend the month storing up their harvest and preparing their food and homes in order to survive the winter.
November in Other Languages
- Danish: november
- French: novembre
- Italian: novembre
- Latin: November
- Spanish: noviembre
- Japanese: 十一月 (Juichigatsu)
- Chinese (Mandarin): shíyiyuè