Calendar for July 2020
Phase of the Moon:
|July 5:||July 12:||July 20:||July 27:|
|Full Moon||3rd Quarter||New Moon||1st Quarter|
Holidays and Observances in U.S.:
- 3: ‘Independence Day’ observed
- 4: Independence Day
- 15: Tax Day
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- Canada Day
- Bastille Day
- Parent’s Day
- National Ice Cream Month
- National Blueberry Month
- National Hot Dog Month
- National Picnic Month
- National Pickle Month
Fun Facts about July:
- It is the second summer month after June.
- There are many countries which have their Independence Day during the month of July. These include the United States, Belarus, Venezuela, Argentina, Belgium, the Bahamas, and the Maldives. The national days for France and Canada occur in July as well.
- July is the warmest month in the Northern Hemisphere on average. It is similar to January in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Sometimes the hot, long days of July are called the “dog days of summer”.
- It is sometimes called the Hay month because the grass dries out due to a lack of rain and can be made into hay.
- July’s birthstone, the ruby, is often associated with contentment, love, passion, and integrity.
History of July:
July was originally the month of Quintilis in the Roman calendar. It was the fifth month of the year until January and February were added in 450 BC. It got its original name from the Latin word for fifth. Later the name was changed to Julius in honor of Julius Caesar who was born on July 12.
July in Other Languages
- Danish: juli
- French: juillet
- Italian: luglio
- Latin: quintilis
- Spanish: julio
- Japanese: 七月 (shichiatsu)
- Chinese (Mandarin): qiyuè