Calendar for January 2022
Full Moon January 2022
|January 2||January 9||January 17||January 25|
|New Moon||1st Quarter||Full Moon||3rd Quarter|
Calendar for January 2022, Full Moon January 2022 and Holidays and observances January 2022
Holidays and Observances in U.S
- 1: New Year’s Day
- 17: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- New Years Day
- Australia Day
- National Book Month
- National Thank You Month
- National Eye Care Month
- National Volunteer Blood Donor Month
- National Soup Month
Fun Facts about January:
- On average, it is the coldest month of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
- It is the second month of winter.
- In the Southern Hemisphere January is a summer month the equivalent of July.
- Sometimes the Saxons called January the wolf month because hungry wolves would come into their towns searching for food this time of year.
- For a long period of European history, the start of the New Year occurred in March.
History of January:
January was named after the Roman god Janus. Janus is also the Roman word for door. The god Janus had two faces which allowed him to look forwards into the coming year and backwards into the past year.
The original Roman calendar only had 10 months. January and February were not included, but were added later.
January in Other Languages
- Danish: januar
- Italian: gennaio
- Latin: Ianuarius
- French: janvier
- Spanish: enero
- Japanese: Ichigatsu
- Chinese (Mandarin): yiyuè