Calendar for June 2021
Phase of the Moon:
|June 2||June 10||June 17||June 24|
|3rd Quarter||New Moon||1st Quarter||Full Moon|
Holidays and Observances in U.S.:
- 20: Father’s Day
- 19: Juneteenth
Holidays and Festivals around the World:
- Flag Day
- Fathers Day
- Paul Bunyan Day
- National Rose Month
- National Dairy Month
- African-American Music Month
- National Ice Tea Month
- National Candy Month
Fun Facts about June:
- It is the first month of the summer season.
- June in the Northern Hemisphere is similar to the month of December in the Southern Hemisphere.
- June is known as a great month to get married.
- The famous English tennis tournament Wimbledon is played during the month of June.
- The longest day of the year occurs on either June 21st or 22nd.
- Several countries celebrate their flag days during this month including the United States, Sweden, Denmark, Romania, and Argentina.
- June 21st is Go Skateboarding Day.
History of June:
The month of June comes from the Roman, or Julian, calendar. June was initially named Iunius. The name either comes from the Roman goddess Juno, wife of Jupiter, or from the word “iuniores”, the Latin word for “younger ones”. In the early Roman calendar June only had 29 days. It was Julius Caesar who added the additional day giving June 30 days.
June in Other Languages
- Danish: juni
- French: juin
- Italian: giugno
- Latin: Iunius
- Spanish: junio
- Japanese: Rokugatsu
- Chinese (Mandarin): liùyuè